Here’s something to look forward to, after the coronavirus pandemic passes: Wellness holidays to reboot life.
Wellness tourism is growing twice as fast as the tourism industry overall. In fact, by 2022 some predict it will be a $919 billion industry. Wellness tourism allows travelers to maintain, enhance or kick-start a healthy lifestyle and support or increase their sense of well-being. Whether it’s cycling across Italy with a famous chef, meditating with monks in Tibet, or cooking farm-to-table cuisine with cowboys on a Wyoming ranch, here are 11 dreamy wellness vacations to relax, reboot and establish a sense of inner balance.
1. Soaking & Cycling Shikoku – Shikoku is the smallest of Japan’s major islands. It’s encircled by a 1,200 km, 88-temple Buddhist pilgrimage route honoring the 9th-century monk Kukai. Cycling these ancient Samurai roads, trekking sacred Pilgrim routes, soaking in historic hot springs, and enjoying a unique culture and gastronomy make this Ride & Seek vacation the perfect wellness retreat for active travelers. https://www.rideandseek.com/tour/samurai-shikoku-island-japan/
2. Tiny House Ski Retreat – Just minutes from Jackson Hole, Wyoming, Fireside Resort capitalizes on the tiny house craze and the classic appeal of rustic cottages by offering 25 pint-size, luxuriously outfitted units designed by Wheelhaus. Jackson Hole Mountain Resort offers 133 runs and 12 lifts across more than 2,500 acres. Well-groomed Nordic skiing, cross-country skiing, and snowshoeing trails are also available. https://www.firesidejacksonhole.com/ContactUs/
3. Fly Fishing + Diving in Belize – Turneffe Flats has been one of the world’s top flats fishing and diving resorts for close to four decades. Frontiers International Travel guests enjoy a myriad of other activities such as unique marine eco-adventures, birding, and wildlife watching. https://www.frontierstravel.com/turneffe-flats-lodge-april-may-2020
4. Meditating with Monks – On this MIR Corporation adventure, guests visit Dunhuang’s UNESCO-listed Mogao Caves and explore the Tibetan Plateau on a splendid route that embraces the sacred cities of Gyantse, Shigatse and Lhasa, “City of the Sun.” https://www.mircorp.com/trip/chinas-silk-road-tibet-route-of-monks-merchants/
5. Cycling w/ Chef in Italy – Tourissimo offers cycling vacations that focus on the best food and wine Italy has to offer. On each departure, they invite a well-known chef whose role is to facilitate the understanding of local gastronomy. The tours all happen around carefully selected cycling routes. https://www.tourissimo.travel/chef-tours
6. Cowboy Cooking & Horseback Riding – In addition to hiking, fly fishing, cattle wrangling, horseback riding, yoga and luxury accommodations, guests at Red Reflet Ranch in Ten Sleep, WY have an opportunity to learn culinary techniques and skills by joining the ranch’s executive chef for cooking classes. Much of the meat and produce consumed at Red Reflet Ranch comes from its butcher shop and gardens. http://redrefletranch.com/
7. Biking Across Colorado – Cycle of Life Adventures has created a four-week-long “Epic Colorado” cycling expedition covering 1,258 miles with an elevation gain of 89,502 feet. In addition to cycling, there are three rest days built in so guests can enjoy fly fishing, kayaking, rafting, hiking, golf or spa experiences. https://cycleoflifeadventures.com/epic-colorado
8. Northern Lights, Dog Sledding & Curling – Get a dose of local culture by day and view the Aurora Borealis by night. Visit a local homesteader, walk with reindeer, go dogsledding, learn the sport of curling, and relax in the outdoor hot springs on this quintessential wellness vacation offered by Gondwana Ecotours. https://www.gondwanaecotours.com/tour/fairbanks-northern-lights-trips-alaska/
9. Big Sky Spring – Visit Big Sky, Montana, and make the new Wilson Hotel your base for active spring adventures. End ski season on hundreds of exhilarating runs spread across 5,850 acres of terrain at Big Sky Resort, or venture into Yellowstone National Park on foot or bike to see natural wonders and wildlife waking from the quiet of winter. https://thewilsonhotel.com/
10. Ride the Roof of the World – Join H+I Adventures on a mountain bike trip in the Himalayas of Nepal for breathtaking climbs and fast descents in the Kathmandu Valley and among the highest peaks in the world. Along the way, share tea with local farmers on their rooftops in the mountains. https://www.mountainbikeworldwide.com/mtb-tours/nepal
11. Sri Lanka Safari – Visit the national parks of Sri Lanka with Adventure Life to see wildlife like colorful peacocks, giant crocodiles, majestic herds of elephants during jungle hikes, game drives and boat rides. Also find four centuries of Arab, Portuguese and Dutch cultural influences on a walking tour through the cobbled streets of Galle. https://www.adventure-life.com/sri-lanka/tours/14369/sri-lanka-wildlife
For more travel features, visit:
‘Like’ us on facebook.com/NewsPhotoFeatures